Sunday, September 26, 2010

People scamming kids on campus

A few years ago I was at the local community college. I saw a guy posting up flyers after 4pm, which is pretty much just after everyone leaves and traffic is low. I asked him what the job was about and he said something along the lines of, "It's a work from your house job that pays really well."

I thought, cool, that'd be awesome. I asked him what their number was being that the guy was still putting the flyer on the wall, and I didn't read it yet.

"Well, my friend who owns the company prefers that everyone contact him through the website."

"Oh, that's cool," I responded, "Would you like me to give you my number in case you'd like to contact me."

"No, I'm fine. It's best if you go to the site."

The guy was a white haired kind of dirty looking guy. He hadn't shaved. His pants were stained. He held himself up kind of casually, in a very comic book hermit type of way. I felt like this guy wouldn't be the greatest boss, but hey, it was an online job so I didn't care much.

I got home and when I got online I linked over to the site. It seemed pretty straight forward. Put your email here, what's your name, just general stuff. After I signed what seemed to be an application, the website asked for a 39 dollar processing fee. It didn't hit me immediately, but once I organized my high hopes and thought about it, I knew that I was trying to be scammed.

I went to school the next day and pulled off one of his flyers while I was walking to my friend.

"Why'd you do that? She asked?"

"Because it's a scam." I said. I had been looking for a job for some time now, and this whole take money from poor desperate students made me want to beat the living crap out of that old gray haired scammer. I crumpled it up and threw it in the garbage can. When I passed another, I did the same thing. Everytime I saw one, on the way to class, I threw it away. That old man's hard working effort posting loose leaflets of copied paper to scam kids were being foiled with my plans to take them down as I walked around which is what I did everyday between classes.

When I saw someone looking at a new pinned up flyer, I told them it was a scam. And we would talk, and make friends. One time even get lunch together. It wasn't until I was working for the presidential campaign places fliers up all around my school, that I knew how hard this work was. More importantly I knew how much more harder it would've been for a middle aged man. I'm happy he worked just for me to waste his time. I'm not happy that he could get away with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts